Künstlerbuch | Artists’ book: Ed Ruscha. Stains, 1969
Book of 75 mixed-media stains on Eagle Coupon Bond 100% cotton paper plus one stain on white silk moiré fabric boxed in portfolio
30.5 x 27.9 (closed dimensions)
- Edition | 70 unique examples, plus 2 AP and 3 „Donor Copies“
- Exterior | Clamshell portfolio box covered with black textured paper; title embossed in silver ink on front cover and spine; lined in white silk moiré
- Binding | Unbound
- Pages | 78 sheets (75 sheets with stains, 1 title sheet printed in black on heavyweight rag paper, 1 colophon sheet, 1 sheet listing the stains used)
- Inscriptions | Signed in ink on colophon sheet, upper middle, „Ed Ruscha“; numbered in ink upper middle
- Printer | Artist
- Publisher | Heavy Industry Publications, Hollywood
- Proofs | 2 AP, 3 „Donor Copies“
- Commends | The materials used in the portfolio were listed on a sheet inserted in the box, which reads as follows: 1. Los Angeles Tap Water, 2. Pacific Ocean Salt Water, 3. Eyewash (Murine), 4. Which hazel (Borbro distilled), 5. Acetone (Gray Cross), 6. Bleach (Clorox), 7. Hydrogen Peroxide (Gray Cross), 8. Candlewax (Halo), 9. Spot Remover (Energine), 10. Antiseptic (Listerine) [… 11-69 …] 70. Olive Oil (Star), 71. Mineral Oil (Squibb), 72. Motor Oil (Texaco 30W-HD), 73. Meat (T-Bone), 74. Molasses (Brer Rabbit), 75. Cinnamon Oil (Magnus, Mabee & Reynard). Inside silk: Blood of the Artist.
Pictures and Information are taken from:
Edward Ruscha. EDITIONS 1959-1999 | Catalogue Raisonne, Vol. 1: Prints, Books Misc; Vol. 2: Essays, Entries, Information, Minneapolis 1999.