Künstlerbuch | Artists’ book: Ed Ruscha. Business Cards, 1968
Collaboration with Billy Al Bengston
Black offset printing on white paper
22.2 x 14.3 x 1 cm
- Edition | 1000
- Exterior | Softcover, faux wood-grain commercial paper stock wrapped around pages; black-and-white photograph attached to center front with black paper mounting corners
- Binding | Latigo (a single leather lace running through 2 drilled holes, both ends knotted on front cover); bound by hand by the artists
- Pages | 32 (14 pages with 21 photographic illustrations, 6 text pages, 9 blank pages, 1 page with business card and reproduction of photograph stapled to paper, 1 title page, 1 copyright page)
- Inscription | Cover of each book signed by Bengston „B.A.B“ and by Ruscha „Edward Ruscha;“ location of signatures varies from book to book
- Printer | G.R. Hutter Lithography, Burbank, California
- Printer | Vaughan Printing Co., Santa Monica, California
- Publisher | Heavy Industry Publications, Hollywood
- Commends | Bengston’s business card is crumpled in each copy of the book as a nod to the „Dento“ series of paintings he did in the 1950s. Photographs in the book are by Larry Bell and Ken Prince.
- The current price for Business Cards is about 2.500-4000€, available on abebooks
Pictures and Information are taken from:
Edward Ruscha. EDITIONS 1959-1999 | Catalogue Raisonne, Vol. 1: Prints, Books Misc; Vol. 2: Essays, Entries, Information, Minneapolis 1999.