Künstlerbuch | Artists’ book: Ed Ruscha. Every Building On The Sunset Strip, 1966
Black offset printing on white paper; folded and glued
17.8 x 14.3 x 1 cm – closed dimensions; 760.7 cm extended
- Edition | 1000
- Exterior | Softcover; white cardboard and silver Mylar slipcase; title printed in silver ink on front and spine; new copies of both editions were banded with a white paper strip that encircled both book and slipcase
- Binding | Accordian-fold
- Pages | 1 continuous accordion-fold page composed of glued paper segments
- Inscription | Unsigned and unnumbered
- Printer | Dick de Rusha, Los Angeles
- Publisher | Ed Ruscha
- Comments | Ruscha made a series of editioned photographs based in part on this book in 1995.
- Subsequent Editions | Second printing 1971*, edition of 5000 unsigned and unnumbered; printed by Cinema Center Printing Co., Hollywood; chipboard slipcases made by Hollywood Bindery; covered in silver Mylar. When unfolded, the second edition is 7.3 cm shorter in length than the first because the artist decided to eliminate a small folded flap that was part of the first edition (at 9176 and 9171 Sunset Boulevard). * It is possible that 500 copies were also printed in 1969, Records, however, have been destroyed for this publication.
Pictures and Information are taken from:
Edward Ruscha. EDITIONS 1959-1999 | Catalogue Raisonne, Vol. 1: Prints, Books Misc; Vol. 2: Essays, Entries, Information, Minneapolis 1999.
more artists’ books